We are pleased to present our global sustainability policy to you.
This policy outlines the overarching commitments of Anthesis and is part of our much larger ambition to develop and implement a sustainability management process across all our business operations.
We are a rapidly growing organisation made up of sustainability specialists drawn from a range of different organisations who bring with them a wide spectrum of expertise delivered with passion for our subject matter interests. We also have many admirable efforts to manage social and environmental impacts taking place through the companies that we have acquired. As might be expected, therefore, different ways of being sustainable have been brought to Anthesis – different ways of doing, measuring and monitoring. We are currently consolidating “the best in class” of these activities across our organisation into one coherent, consistent approach.
Transparency is a core value of our organization and we are keen to communicate our sustainability progress with all our stakeholders. As such, we are delighted to share our second United Nations Global Compact ‘Communication on Progress’.
Our sustainability policy
“Sustainability is at the very heart of what we do – working with other organisations to develop, manage and promote their social and environmental activities. But this isn’t just a business strategy; each individual at Anthesis is personally committed to sustainability and actively looks for ways to make a difference.”
Stuart McLachlan, CEO
Anthesis is a specialist global consultancy founded on the belief that commercial success and sustainability go hand in hand, and our own success is no exception. We have a range of impacts on the environment and society through our day-to-day business and our interaction with our customers, our supply chain and the wider community. We are committed to managing these impacts, and this policy outlines the overarching commitments of Anthesis. This is a standalone policy.
We are committed to running our business in a responsible, sustainable way. We manage our environmental and social impacts, whilst creating economic value and solving the specific challenges that being a rapidly growing organisation presents.
We believe this approach will bring many benefits to us, including minimising risks, saving money, enhancing our image and reputation and, of course, being the right thing to do.
To ensure a responsible, sustainable approach to business we will:
- Manage our business in a responsible way, operating fairly and transparently.
- Comply with all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice, as well as voluntary commitments where appropriate.
- Aim to incorporate sustainability considerations in all our business activities and decisions.
- Communicate and promote our approach to sustainability within our organisation, ensuring all staff are committed to implementing and improving our ways of working, and communicating our approach externally: to key stakeholders, partners, suppliers and clients.
- Uphold human rights in our business and encourage our value chain to do the same.
- Offer the best advice to our customers – helping them to embed a commitment to sustainability into their business, ensuring that project goals are really being addressed, and encouraging them to adopt a real, meaningful approach to sustainability.
- Treat our employees fairly – responsible employment contracts, fair working conditions, opportunities for development, equal opportunities, and protecting their health and safety.
- Manage and reduce our environmental impacts – maximising energy efficiency, preventing pollution, reducing emissions, choosing environmentally favourable transport options, using all resources wisely, ensuring responsible end-of-life disposal of assets, and protecting the environment and biodiversity.
- Procure goods and services that match our values, and sourcing locally or ethically as much as we can – improving our impacts on the environment and society.
- Encourage our suppliers to adopt a responsible approach to business.
- Invest in and support our community – local, national and international.
- Set targets and regularly monitor, review and report our sustainability performance; and continue to strive to improve based on best practice.
While responsibility for our sustainability programme lies with everyone in the company, our Senior Management Team, supported by our sustainability group, take the lead, ensuring that we are taking the action necessary to meet our targets and to make a positive impact on society and the environment.
We evaluate our performance every year as part of our general business review, which coincides with producing our annual sustainability report. At this time we:
- look at what we have done
- ask what has gone well
- question what has been less successful
- review our material issues
- and, based on these areas, set new targets
We regularly ask our stakeholders for comment and feedback on our sustainability programme. We work towards our targets over the year and monitor our progress quarterly to make sure that we are meeting them and that we make changes if we are falling short.
Stuart McLachlan, CEO, September 2016