Anthesis is the sustainability activator!
Proud to be a B Corp, we seek to make a significant contribution to a world which is more resilient and productive. We do this by working with cities, corporates, investors and other organisations to drive sustainable performance. We develop financially driven sustainability strategies, underpinned by technical expertise and delivered by innovative collaborative teams across the world. The company combines the reach of big professional services groups with the deep expertise of boutiques.
Anthesis has clients across industry sectors from corporate multinationals such as Reckitt Benckiser, Cisco, Tesco, The North Face and Target, and also supports early-stage companies through Anthesis Ventures. The company brings together 1000+ experts operating in 42 countries around the world and has offices in Andorra, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Middle East, the Philippines, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, the UK, and the US.
At Anthesis we value both the wellbeing and the professional development of our people by doing our best to make Anthesis a great place to work. Our identity, values, and the quality of our work are vested in our people and we want you to thrive, develop and succeed here.
As an equal opportunity’s employer, we value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on skills and experience – the only thing that differentiates you is your talent and the value you bring. We understand that diverse ideas breed extraordinary results by inspiring our thinking, challenging our solutions and enhancing our culture. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability.
Summary of the Practice
Anthesis’ Supply Chain Practice operates across the private, not for profit, and public sectors. Our objective is to address the environmental and social consequences of global supply chains, across the full product life cycle from raw material choices to logistics and the in-use/in-operation phase. Success for us, is delivering a fair and just transition on a global scale. In the global landscape there is a growing movement from the investment sector, brands, manufacturers, retailers, specific industries, industry bodies and the NGOs to activate change. This is driving a need for expertise and service provision across a diverse range of themes including:
- Human rights and animal welfare;
- Sustainable procurement;
- Brand certification standards, voluntary initiatives, regulations and treaties;
- Green claims, risk management, strategic communications and greenwash avoidance;
- Education and awareness; and
- Decarbonization of supply chains and logistics networks.
At Anthesis, we have been building a large and diverse team that combines deep sustainability expertise with the strategic, commercial, operational, and brand capabilities it takes to deliver real change. Our approach is to analyse, develop solutions and implement initiatives at product, category, portfolio, company and group level. We base our recommendations on science and data. Globally, the Anthesis Supply Chain Practices incorporate a wide range of services from supplier engagement and education, to ESG, brand certification and green claims, in both social and environmental sustainability.
There are currently two large centres of excellence within the Anthesis Supply Chain globally: North America, and UK. However, there are emerging teams in other parts of Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East. In the UK, the Supply Chain service and delivery team has been a part of the Sustainable Production & Consumption Practice to date. Demand for services has now grown to the extent that we are ready to recognise it as a core service offering by converting it to a Practice in its own right. To optimise this growth potential in 2023 we are seeking to fill a new leadership position to deliver success. We are hiring for an inspiring and experienced leader for the UK’s team to work collaboratively with the other strong and emerging markets to help support growth and share resources, while focusing on building the next part of our UK Supply Chain market roadmap for growth.
The UK practice is currently made up of several Service areas, including human rights and environmental certification and best practice. Our team has a focus on the textile and apparel sector and includes expertise from MADEBY which joined the Anthesis family approximately 5 years ago. These services have strong leadership and capable technical delivery teams. There is a potential to expand the Service Areas, in line with other parts of the global practice, to include new offerings to the UK market, including integration with our digital strategy for supplier engagement.
Within the UK practices, the different teams in Supply Chain and Production & Consumption work closely and there is a strong track record of collaboration. Team members use their skills to service clients and offerings across the wider Practice Service Areas and share tools and resources as well as running learning development sessions to upskill colleagues in the wider Anthesis community. They also often a support colleagues and Services from other UK Practices and within the global Anthesis framework; specifically there is a strong link between the UK Supply Chain team and their counterparts in Ireland, where there is a culture of joint delivery of projects.
Our culture is founded on the empowerment of great people, working in agile teams, in a high-ownership, high-accountability and fast-paced environment. We take pride in being a values-driven organization that does impactful work and respects the need for work-life balance. We are curious and always learning from each other. We challenge and inspire one another. We show up each day as our authentic selves. We are proud of what we have achieved so far, but we have more to do. Our success depends on attracting, empowering, and growing world-class leaders that will help us transform the organizations we serve.
Summary of role:
We are seeking a Director/Associate Director help to develop the next stage of our ambitious strategy to deliver Supply Chain services for the Decisive Decade. This role has four main components
Strategy and evolution: working collaboratively to establish visions, growth strategies and roadmap planning, which will establish Anthesis as a significant player in the regional market and attract clients and talent.
Impact: driving a culture of high impact, both in terms of effective teams and sustainability returns, by supporting the Anthesis Activator Journey, the 3GT carbon reduction strategy, our growth multipliers and Accelerators across the Practice, region and within our global frameworks.
Clients and market: shaping and driving the client strategies, key account management, training and other approaches including all marketing initiatives to drive the business offering regionally;
Talent and culture: planning, developing, inspiring and supporting the leadership teams and wider Practice resources to deliver excellence in everything they do; including supporting new career professionals through the internship programme, training and personal development, the Anthesis mentoring programme and our career pathway plans.
Business and commercials: owning the processes for budgeting, target setting, work prioritisation, risk and management and supporting the growth targets of the corporate business.
This post will join the UK Practice Council which is made up of c. 10 participants from the UK practices and management teams that meet monthly to discuss Practice performance (Sales; commercial models; margins; work mix etc.), the People & Development agenda, delivering excellence (e.g. our thought leadership model; services and market presence), and impact (including our Accelerators, Growth Multipliers).
This post will report to the UK Managing Director and over time the the Practice Lead for EMELA (which is a post which is anticipated to be filled during 2023).
The post holder will have a number of line reports, including Service Leads and [shared] responsibility for some operational functions. The Practice Lead is responsible for working closely with the Operations Council representative to deliver the strategy and outputs which will provide transparency for audit purposes, business management meetings and financial reporting.
We are seeking an individual who has a keen grasp of the technical requirements of the role and is a visionary and inspiring leader. The ideal applicant will have relevant experience in supply chain and sustainability, with a consulting background. You will be expected to keep abreast of the changing sustainability market dynamics and implement strategic and tactical initiatives in response to ensure Anthesis is at the forefront to optimise emerging opportunities. We expect all our leaders to exhibit the Anthesis values and embody the Anthesis Spirit. Our successful candidate will be someone who wants to lead, contribute to, and flourish, in a team working at the leading edge of sustainability.
- Proven experience, with a minimum of 15 years’ track record, of leading and growing high performing teams in fast paced and dynamic environments;
- Previous consultancy experience, preferably from within a top-tier consulting firm;
- Commercial acumen;
- Significant networks of contacts across a range of industries or sectors including FMCG, retail, pharmaceutical, investment, waste; technology; built environment; NGOs/charities and/or the public sector;
- Subject matter expertise at a relevant level of technical capability;
- Environment/sustainability degree or a business, supply chain, economics degree;
- Demonstrated track record of working at C-suite and senior executive level;
- Experience of leading the management of multiple complex commercially and politically sensitive projects;
- Well developed interpersonal skills, strong communication skills and experience with a track record of chairing and facilitating meetings and workshops with large groups of stakeholders and delivering presentations; and
- High quality professional standards.
- Multi lingual;
- Strong analytical skills and Excel skills and data visualisation experience; and
- Willingness to travel within UK semi-regularly, and globally when required.
Personal Attributes and Qualities
- Passionate about transformational leadership and relationship development;
- Curious, globally minded and enthusiastic;
- Inspiring, collaborative and visionary;
- Work within a highly motivated team in an innovative and rapidly growing global company
- Opportunity to have a direct impact and be a key part of the growth and development of the business and the team
- Work solely on projects that have an impact on the sustainability and climate change goals/challenges for clients
- Opportunity to work with, collaborate with and learn from sustainability SME’s who are passionate about the work they do and the impact Anthesis can have
- Exposure to a wide range of clients and projects on a global basis
- Competitive salary in line with education, experience and skills
- Competitive benefits including flexible working, 25 days holiday and two volunteering days off and the day off for your Birthday!
- Cooperative, supportive and open working atmosphere.