Anthesis is the Sustainability Activator. We are here to deliver sustainable performance. As the largest group of sustainability experts globally, we’re making it happen. Since establishing in 2013, Anthesis Group has grown to more than 700 experts, through organic growth and strategic acquisitions. Our activator model empowers multi-expert teams to design and deploy solutions that grow productive, resilient organisations, ecosystems and communities.
Summary of role
This exciting new role sits within the Energy Systems community but has potential to develop into a cross-community endeavour covering net zero carbon and waste infrastructure. Energy Systems has undergone a period of sustained growth over the past few years and now includes for 25 engineering consultants and subject matter experts with a primary focus on the built environment. To support further growth the Energy Systems team needs to recruit a Technical Director –Process Decarbonisation reporting to Director, Energy Systems.
This is a wide-ranging, senior role undertaking a variety of technical engineering consulting projects, including process efficiency, low carbon technology integration and enhancing product sustainability. Key areas of the role will include supporting our clients in the decarbonisation of chemical, physical, and biological processes through innovative design, operation, control and optimisation strategies.
- Supervising and supporting the development of less experienced engineers.
- Optimisation of process efficiency to support sustainable outcomes – waste efficiency, circular economy, decarbonisation etc.
- Working with clients to develop technical and commercial strategies, producing designs and specifications, preparation of project cost estimates, supporting the tender process and overseeing the delivery of projects.
- Project management including the co-ordination of technical, commercial and procurement advice from internal and external associates. Delivering projects on time and on budget to high customer satisfaction.
- Acting as clients representative to ensure best value is obtained from contractors. Advising clients on options, risks and mitigation. Operating embedded within the client’s office where required.
- Supporting our wider consultancy practice to deliver high quality technical analysis and reports including energy audits, stock assessments, scoping studies, options appraisals and detailed engineering design, identifying and prioritising cost effective energy efficiency solutions (supply and demand).
- Providing due diligence on manufacturing investment
- Peer review and authorisation of colleagues’ work.
- Oversight and inspection of installations of measures, commissioning, organising and assessing the work of contractors.
- Manage multiple client relationships, liaise with clients to determine their requirements, assist clients with on-going enquires.
- Manage relationships into key industry bodies such as BEIS, IET / IMechE / IChemE.
- Engage with key networks and thought leadership in this space and maintain strong industry relationships
- Develop strategic partnerships with other companies and institutions that enhance the effectiveness of the work we deliver
- Achieving project profitability. Tracking costs, managing and forecasting spend, ensuring that work is kept to budget. Manage resources. Manage invoicing.
- Providing technical sales support to Sales colleagues ensuring proposals are correctly scoped and priced.
- Support the development of new propositions, identifying market needs and subsequent opportunities. Spotting innovations and making the business case for pursuing them.
- Supporting the development of IP and systems that enhance the quality and efficiency of our client work
- With anticipated growth, the role has the potential to develop, leading a team of engineers and responsibility in mentoring less experienced staff.
- The role has the potential for line management responsibility and representation of the team at the Senior Management level, though this is not essential. Should this be agreed to be appropriate then this would likely cover a current team of up to 5 Engineers. This includes team appraisals, reviews, and training & development.
Relevant experience required:
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a similar client-facing role in manufacturing &/or energy efficiency industry.
- Very strong technical skills including applying engineering first principles.
- Experience in industry with a knowledge of engineering, lean manufacturing and energy conversion.
- Experience in a consultant environment (either external or internal).
- Ability to calculate carbon savings, fuel cost savings and whole life costings of measures.
- Client and stakeholder management (internal and external), interpersonal and communication skills, managing clients expectations, promoting excellent working relationships.
- Negotiation and persuasion to support Sales colleagues through both account management and successful tender submissions.
- Project management skills to deliver technical, multi-stakeholder projects on time and on budget.
- Advance excel skills. spreadsheet manipulation, complex calculations and production of graphics.
- Evidence of leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Understanding of sustainability and delivering sustainable performance in a client environment
Qualifications/education level required:
- Degree in Engineering subject or equivalent.
- Chartered Engineer with IET, IMechE, IChemE or CIBSE.
Desirable experience, knowledge, skills, qualifications:
- Experience in metering and controls strategy to support process efficiency
- Experience in dealing with commercial businesses (retailers, manufacturers, etc)
- Experience in dealing with managing third party contractors.
- AutoCAD and modelling software such as EnergyPro, IES, TAS and Revit.
- As the role includes travel, visiting clients across the UK and on occasions overseas, and keeping in contact with internationally based clients there is a requirement to be flexible around hours of working.
- Full UK driving licence
Anthesis is an equal opportunity employer. The aim of our policy is to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.