“As well as developing your ESG policy and strategy, we can help de-risk and improve the ESG performance of portfolio companies. This ranges from environmental compliance and safety on the ‘shop floor’, through to setting sustainability strategies“
Whether an institutional investor or asset manager, being able to demonstrate that you have evaluated your assets’ exposure to ESG issues and put in place policies and strategies to ensure their management throughout the investment lifecycle, is now an essential element of fund raising and core business management alike.
Our ESG Policy & Strategy Development services
Anthesis is experienced in working with funds to manage these challenges, helping them to define their core ESG policies, develop strategies and management systems to implement them. We also help funds report their performance to both investors and wider stakeholders.
Anthesis undertakes analysis of a fund or managers’ existing ESG policies and strategies evaluating their alignment with best practice, robustness and fitness for the future. We work for both funds looking to scrutinise managers prior to investment, and funds and managers seeking to ensure their ESG management is in alignment with investor expectations. We also work for fund managers keen to put their own houses in order and “walk the talk” prior to encouraging portfolio management teams to undertake improvement programs.
In doing so we leverage our understanding of the financial services sector and its specific initiatives, such as SASB, the UN Principles of Responsible Investment and the GRESB reporting scheme, broader corporate best practice, which is often more advanced and the overlapping initiatives such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Science Based Targets and the Task Force on Climate related Financial Disclosure (TCFD).
How we do it
- Evaluating internal management of ESG issues from sustainability, through employee recruitment, development and retention, to corporate governance arrangements.
- Scrutinising investment analysis and due diligence processes to ensure the most relevant material risk issues, whether traditional risks such as contamination or emerging risks such as climate change or data protection, are appropriately covered.
- Benchmarking policy commitments and the evaluating the practicalities of the current framework and procedures put in place to implement them.
- Analysing the metrics chosen to monitor performance, the system employed to collect and manage data and mediums chosen to report performance.
- Creating centrepiece ESG policies that support fundraising and investment strategies and are mindful of their investors’ requirements.
- Developing light-touch systems that provide a framework for successful implementation, together with the tools, guidance documents, questionnaires and interactive software to support internal teams.
- Establishing effective approaches to benchmark new and existing portfolio company performance, setting key performance indicators and monitoring progress on a periodic basis.
- Guiding on the best approaches to stakeholder reports.
Anthesis also acts as an implementation partner for ESG strategy and provides continued monitoring and reporting services to private equity firms.Find out about our ESG Policy and Strategy implementation solutions
I have worked with Anthesis for many years. They have a depth of ESG understanding and expertise, allowing real analysis and advice on the emerging issues that are becoming increasingly material to our clients. What sets them apart is their willingness and ability to apply this, together with technology solutions, to enhance the quality and speed of their reporting.
We wanted the ESG screen as we were keen to understand the definition of ESG and to see the criteria you would be using. We were also interested to see how others would view us through this lens. The Anthesis screen provided us a with a “mirror”. The value to Neste was that it confirmed we are on a right track to addressing ESG issues. It also helped us to identify some potential improvement opportunities, several of which we are working on, and others that warrant further evaluation.
We'd love to hear from you
Anthesis has offices in the U.S., Canada, UK, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, South Africa, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Finland, Colombia, Brazil, China, the Philippines and the Middle East.