Agribusiness & Food Systems
Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems Consulting
The State of Food Systems
Agriculture and food production have suffered a pandemic-induced shock in 2020 that threatened global food security. On the demand side, shifts in consumer purchasing habits have placed increasing pressures on the hospitality and retailer sectors ‘just in time’ supply chains and logistics.
On the supply side, excessive labour shortages have continued to impact farmers and manufacturers’ ability to maintain productivity to provide healthy, nutritious food to the world’s growing population whilst reducing waste. Not to mention that agriculture alone accounts for 11% of the world’s GHG footprint and 85% of global freshwater consumption. Organisations in the food and agriculture sustainability space have a role to play in preventing a 2 degree global warming scenario among other social and environmental issues.
Where there are challenges there are also opportunities.
To build a more resilient food system organisations within agriculture, food manufacturing and retail must work to develop new technology–enabled mechanisms to:
- Revalue and regenerate agriculture – supporting water resilience, soil health, reforestation, biodiversity and farmers livelihoods
- Rebuild resilient supply chains
- Incentivise the adoption of creative and transformative solutions in food production
The Business Case for Sustainable Food Production & Agricultural Practices
Leaders in the agri-food space who have adopted responsible sourcing practices are benefiting from the improved security of raw material supply, value chain efficiencies, business growth and positive brand recognition.
Responsible sourcing catalysed by the digitisation of sustainable food
Emerging technologies and innovation can help organisations transform the way they manage and mitigate sustainability risks in their value chains:
- Utilising science based sustainability metrics
- Gathering sustainability data and benchmarking performance
- Adopting novel agri-tech solutions to assess sustainability impacts
- Collaborating on shared platforms that drive innovation and sector-wide progress
Our global team of sustainable agri-food experts works with clients across the entire value chain to build sustainable agriculture and food production solutions that have business value. From identifying risks and developing strategy to developing technology and tools, and engaging stakeholders, we help organisations throughout their entire sustainability journey.
We partnered with industry expert Anthesis to ensure we could meet the rigorous requirements of an SBTi-approved goal for Scope 3 emissions. With Anthesis’ guidance, we were able to footprint our current Scope 3 impact as well as model out all the underlying initiatives and activities that will help us achieve our 2030 target.
Former VP of Corporate Responsibility, Target
Anthesis have been collaborating with Tesco for the last few years. Among a range of projects, Anthesis have supported and facilitated the Supplier Network Platform, which promotes communication and stimulates discussion and knowledge sharing between Tesco and our suppliers.
Senior Sustainability and Fabric Manager, Tesco
Tools to Support the Agri-Food Sector
- Cool Farm Tool – an online greenhouse gas calculator that offers farmers worldwide a simple, free way to measure the environmental impact of their crops and livestock. It helps farmers to understand where their emissions hotspots are and assess different scenarios for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving their resource efficiency.
- Tesco Supplier Network – available to over 10,000 suppliers worldwide. This Activator Hub connects suppliers to Tesco and to each other in order to promote stronger relationships and aid collaboration, spreading innovation and best practice across Tesco’s global supply chain.
- Vastum – Anthesis’ digital waste tracking tool. The free-to-use system aims to digitally record all waste movements, tracking waste from the producer to its final destination and fate, so helping to reduce waste crime.
We’d love to hear from you
Food Waste SDG Target 12.3: Progress and Looking Ahead to 2030
Today, Champions 12.3, a broad coalition of businesses, governments and other organisations championing food waste action is holding its annual progress event to announce how companies, and nations are tracking towards the UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 12.3 target to halve per capital global food waste by 2030.
The Agri-Food Sustainability Journey
Anthesis provides agile analytics and research capabilities that deliver actionable, commercial foresight and insight. We deliver assessments for leadership & capabilities and materiality & future trends, alongside ESG screenings, hotspot analyses and agri-food impact assessments.
Anthesis provides evidence-based strategies, innovating, and tools to address challenges and unlock opportunities. We support clients in the delivery of responsible sourcing strategies, product innovation and eco-design, including circular economy, packaging, waste, recycling and resource efficiency management. Our agri-food solutions support clients in brand purpose positioning, as well as meeting Net Zero and SBT targets. Anthesis also supports clients in the agri-food sector on topics of modern slavery and human rights, in addition to supporting decision support tools and software, risk scenario planning and insetting project development.
Anthesis provides pragmatic support and services to deliver on-the-ground impact, efficiently and effectively. We support the delivery of strategic roadmaps and program management for science-based frameworks and KPI measurement, alongside training and decision support tools and agri-food technologies.
Find out how we can support you