Sustainability in Healthcare, Pharma & Life Sciences
Sustainability in Healthcare
The healthcare sector is facing rapid disruptive change as sustainability criteria and worldwide health issues come to the fore. As the world begins to face up to novel medical challenges and opportunities, healthcare organisations need to keep pace with these changes and adapt.
Global pandemics from ebola to COVID-19 challenge the sector to work at a scale of collaboration and speed never before achieved. COVID-19 highlighted our vulnerabilities, but also our capacity to adapt and innovate to not only solve global crises, but to additionally harness such circumstances to transition to more sustainable practices.
Driving Sustainable Change in Healthcare & Life Sciences
As sustainability agendas become increasingly mainstream across industries, we’ve seen many healthcare organisations rise to the opportunity with an understanding that the sector has the ability to profoundly influence a healthier, happier and more sustainable future for all. Many signs of positive change in the healthcare industry are already in motion, including:
- Financial models evolving to include rapid healthcare payer and provider consolidations
- Medical insurance system transformations & regulatory developments aimed at reducing costs and increasing access
- Digitisation offering revolutionary opportunities to improve access, health equity, and the quality of care
Innovation is at the core of how the healthcare sector becomes more sustainable: innovation in technologies, medicines and techniques for healing, for delivering care, and for managing information. Harnessing such technologies creates a powerful driver for sustainability, as seen in the rise of on-demand healthcare and powerful technological innovations ranging from big data utilisation, VR to treat patients, medical wearables, predictive healthcare & AI and blockchain technologies.
Supporting a healthier, more sustainable future
As a sector inherently invested in bringing health and wellness to communities and families, the missions of healthcare and life science organisations are greatly impacted by the need to address the biggest challenges to sustainability. On top of that, designing and delivering medical care optimised for sustainability promises to:
- reduce costs
- mitigate risks
- strengthen relationships throughout the supply chain
- build resiliency in the face of regulatory and commercial changes.
- support preventative care in support of population and public health.
Increasingly hospitals and markets are seeking greener, safer chemistries and healthier, more sustainable products. The demand is coming from patients, clinical customers, non-clinical customers, investors, employees, and other stakeholders. Group Purchasing Organizations (GPOs) have expanded the application of Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) mandates, typically demanding information on product circularity, waste and green chemistry.
As such, stakeholders in industries ranging from pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, healthcare delivery, biotechnology and everything in between are embedding the understanding of the connections between environmental sustainability, human health and wellbeing and circular, no-waste systems into their business decisions and priorities.
Our Healthcare & Life Sciences Expertise
Anthesis is dedicated to activating change throughout the whole healthcare and medical device ecosystem. We work with Pharmaceutical, Health Care Delivery companies and their suppliers, to define and implement sustainability strategies whether they are tactical short-term wins or more often, long term transformational change.
Our global team of sustainable healthcare and pharmaceutical experts build health care solutions with clients across the entire medical value chain. From engaging stakeholders, identifying risks and developing strategies, to implementing proprietary technologies and tools, we help healthcare, pharma, life science and biotech organisations throughout their entire sustainability journey.
Tools to support the Healthcare & Life Sciences sector
Anthesis further supports the healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and life sciences sector through the development and implementation of custom tools to leverage leading technology solutions.
Our tools and technologies suit a variety of environmental and sustainability agendas, including energy systems, water, carbon and product compliance, for hospitals, labs and elsewhere.
- RiskHorizon – The purpose made tool helps legal advisors, investors, finance professionals and deal makers to identify the material ESG risks and opportunities at an early stage of the deal cycle and take full account of the relevant issues throughout the transaction life cycle.
- ActivatorHubs – Whether you’d like to conduct trainings to build capacity in your supply chain, or facilitate peer-to-peer learning within an industry group, Anthesis Activator Hubs can enable the communication and resource-sharing needed.
- Footprinter – Footprinter, is the leading technology platform for enterprise sustainability.
- Anthesis Compliance Data Collection (ACDC) – ACDC, our IPC-1752A compliant data collection tool, is used by our clients’ supply chains to create FMD declarations and to capture lab reports.
Find out how we can support you
Our Healthcare Services
Anthesis provides agile analytics and research capabilities that deliver actionable, commercial foresight and insight.
- Leadership and Capabilities Assessment
- Environmental and Social Value Chain Impacts
- Materiality Assessment and Future Trends Review
- Competitor and Best Practices Benchmarking
Anthesis provides evidence-based strategies, innovating, and tools to address challenges and unlock opportunities.
Strategy + Governance
- Sustainability Goals
- Focus Areas, Functional Strategies and Innovation
- Vision and Ambition
- Alignment on the Business Case for Change
Anthesis provides pragmatic support and services to deliver on-the-ground impact, efficiently and effectively.
Strategy + Governance
- Reporting, Communications and Engagement
- Leadership, Governance and Change Management
- Roadmaps and Action Plans
Find out how we can support you