This is the decade for climate action, a decisive point where we need to take meaningful action to get climate change under control and get on track toward meeting the 1.5 degrees Celsius temperature goal of the Paris Agreement. Science-based targets provide companies with the rigor to reduce emissions, enhance reputation and protect their bottom lines.
The Science Based Targets Initiative is a joint project between the CDP, UN Global Compact, World Resources Institute and the WWF to assist businesses identify how much and how quickly they need to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
A carbon emissions target is defined as science-based if it is in line with the scale of reductions required to keep global temperature increases well-below 2 degrees compared to pre-industrial temperatures. Targets set aligned to a 1.5 degrees trajectory do so with the goal of achieving Net Zero emissions by 2050 or earlier.
Anthesis helps businesses to select the best methodology for them, gather and analyze their key performance metrics, evaluate target options across their scope 1-2-3 emissions and test feasibility strategies for achievement, set a science-based target including building internal buy in for senior leadership approval, and identify and implement the steps you will need to take to meet them.
How we do it
- Helping you to choose a target setting approach, whether it be sector-based, absolute or economic.
- Modelling current carbon performance and forecasting ‘business as usual’ performance.
- Evaluating reduction initiatives and test the feasibility of proposed target options, time frames and strategies.
- Setting science-based targets in line with the most ambitious reduction scenario possible and gaining internal leadership support and approval for an implementation program.
- Submitting them to the Science Based Target Initiative and supporting the approvals process.
- Evaluating reduction methods and business operations to identify hotspots.
- Reviewing targets and progress annually.
Taking action now will help you stay a step ahead of future policies and regulations to limit carbon emissions, inspire and demonstrateleadership across your value chain and with your stakeholders and future-proof your business for a rapidly changing world.
For more information, visit our Science-based Targets Resource Library
We partnered with industry expert Anthesis to ensure we could meet the rigorous requirements of an SBTi-approved goal for Scope 3 emissions. With Anthesis’ guidance, we were able to footprint our current Scope 3 impact as well as model out all the underlying initiatives and activities that will help us achieve our 2030 target.
We'd love to hear from you
Anthesis has offices in the U.S., Canada, UK, France, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Finland, Colombia, Brazil, China, the Philippines and the Middle East.