Circular Economy Solutions
Transitioning to a circular economy is an essential part of tackling both global and local issues. The premise is limiting waste and maximising resources. A more circular economy approach could help tackle global warming, decrease resource scarcity and increase business sustainability.
What is a Circular Economy?
A circular economy is an alternative to the traditional linear economy of take–make–dispose, which fails to fully utilize the potential in many products and services. This inefficient method sees materials that could be integrated back into the economy being disposed of before the material within the product has reached its natural end of life.
The circular economy aims to maintain the quality and value of materials and resources over the long term. The steps to succeed must firstly prioritize waste prevention activities, in keeping with the waste hierarchy, followed by reuse initiatives and recycling, then ultimately connecting procurement activity with waste produced to stimulate a secondary commodities market.
An important element of the circular economy is to address our dependence on single-use packaging. With the collective consumer awareness of the impact of single-use products in many parts of society growing, businesses are starting to look at their supply chains to address the concerns of their customers.
Our Circular Economy Solutions
Taking Circular Economy thinking and implementing it successfully into your business can be challenging. It will require changes to current business practices, employee engagement and potential changes to business models.
Many companies already have internal initiatives in place that follow a circular economy-based approach, yet remain unidentified. Identifying these is a great start.
Our experience enables us to support companies in recognising such initiatives and the many other opportunities that exist within their company. These can then be developed further to deliver exciting and innovating business solutions to the environmental issues we face.
Examples of typical circular economy solutions
Our services offered are bespoke to the client’s individual needs, but examples of activities include:
- Profiling Current Business Practices: Reviewing current practices and identifying ‘hot spot areas’ that delivery both poorly against circular economy principles, business’s own sustainability priorities and customer expectations. This may include procurement reviews, waste and and employee engagement.
- Options Development: produce a list of options that have the potential to tackle impending business issues by engaging a variety of sources, including: Anthesis’ sustainability expertise, internal expertise of the client gathered through internal stakeholder engagement activities, and best practice research.
- Options Assessment: we have the knowledge and expertise internally to undertake a range of economic and environmental assessments of the options. Including high level prioritisation assessments, financial assessments and cost benefit analysis, in line with the Green Book. Our experts can work with businesses to clearly map out the assessment process ensuring it is compatible with internal decision making processes.
- Circular Economy Strategy Development: working with key stakeholders within the business we can map out a strategy based on the business’s internal performance to date, aspirations and current business practices.
- Developing and Implementing Circular Economy Trials and Initiatives: we can design and implement trials to test the viability of different initiatives for business wide implementation. Building in monitoring and measuring activities to provide decision makers with the information required to determine whether or not to roll out the initiative further.
At Anthesis we're supporting our clients to understand how to integrate circular economy principles into their own business models, identify the opportunities and implement truly innovative approaches. Get in touch to see how you can make positive change to your organization.